At The Priory Witham Academy the primary pupils are taught Spanish as part of their curriculum in order to develop their linguistic skills and appreciate other cultures.
In Year 1, pupils receive a 30 minute Spanish lesson every week and in Years 2-6, they are taught Spanish for an hour every other week. These lessons are taught by specialist Spanish teachers.
Throughout the Key Stages, pupils are taught to develop the sounds and phonics of Spanish and to build on vocabulary which will enable them to develop linguistically.
Pupils are able to:
- Speak in sentences with appropriate intonation
- Express simple ideas with clarity
- Write phrases and short sentences from memory
- Develop an understanding of basic Spanish grammar
- Learn poems and songs in Spanish.
Learning Spanish gives an opportunity for our pupils to achieve a great sense of accomplishment. It nurtures their self-esteem, develops interpersonal skills and is great fun!
For further information about our Spanish curriculum please contact Mrs T Anderson.