“What is our knowledge worth if we know nothing about the world that sustains us?”
Here at The Priory Witham Academy we understand how it has never been more important for children to have a comprehensive global understanding of our world and the people and cultures that inhabit it. Through this understanding, children will develop respect for the physical world and the vast scope of cultures that make up our diverse planet. They will be encouraged to develop a passion for and commitment to the subject, and a real sense of curiosity to find out about the world and the people who live there. They will leave with the ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in good knowledge and understanding about current and contemporary issues in society and the environment.
Through our curriculum we will develop the essential characteristics of geographers:
- An excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like.
- An excellent understanding of the ways in which places are independent and interconnected.
- An extensive base of geographical knowledge and vocabulary.
- Fluency in geographical enquiry and the ability to use effective analytical and presentational techniques.
- The ability to reach clear conclusions and develop a reasoned argument.
Our curriculum is driven through a content and skills-based approach, and as part of this we encourage children to develop personal qualities and dispositions which they will find essential in the 21st century. These qualities will enable children to be at ease with the continually changing context of their lives and link closely with our federation values of Wisdom, Curiosity, Generosity, Courage and Passion. We believe that a curriculum should help children see learning as both pleasurable and challenging and our curriculum provides many opportunities to experience this through study units designed to be fun and rigorous, for both children and teachers.
For further information please contact Mrs J Toland